Tuesday, March 29, 2011
Sunday, March 27, 2011
This apron was a gift as well, but I bought it as a kit---I know, hang my head in shame---but it was just so cute and I was short on time. I got it at Joann's using my 40% of coupon and it ended up costing only about 10$. It was easy to make, but the fabric was so awful. It was that stiff, cheap, printed kind. I added a bias tape and gathered a little more than it called for at the flower, but just wasn't quite right. It turned out cute, but it wasn't the quality that I would've liked. I might have to make it with "good" fabrics and see what happens. I think that I would make a fabric flower too instead of the paper one, I could just imagine spaghetti sauce all over it. I LOVE the pearls and flower.
I love aprons (I think of them as "tool belts") and when I am sewing I always need my little tools and somehow they end up in all kinds of weird places....enter the apron. I looked online at a few half aprons and found some cute "sewing" ones. The ones I liked had pleats so when you are sitting the pockets are right at your hips. I added the scissors loop, but I think that I need to change it. The first attempt I had them--the scissors-- hanging a little more off to the side, and every time I sat down they fell. My little girl is always hovering around me when I sew, so and I was worried about her little toes. So I moved it a little more to the center and and added another loop for the tip to sit in. I also made a small pocket for my small snipers. I love this apron, and I used all old scraps to make it, so it didn't really cost me anything :)
Thursday, March 17, 2011
I made this cake today....and oh...it was so good! I found it on this amazing blog WhipperBerry (I am in awe of what this woman can do) http://www.whipperberry.com/2011/03/recipe-chocolate-torte.html?showComment=1300399083754#c8842235168133668184 and it is too good, and really easy to make. It tastes a lot like the Nothing Bundt Cake that I make, but with this one you get icing on every bite! I just loved it.....obviously.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
- 1 Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 pkg. (3.5 oz.) Instant chocolate pudding
- 3 Eggs
- ½ cup Oil
- 1 1/3 cup Water
Combine cake ingredients and mix well. Grease two 8-in. round cake pans. Substitute cocoa for flour so you avoid the white film on your cake. You can also cut out circle rounds with parchment paper for easy removal of cake. Bake cake for 42-43 minutes. Test with a toothpick. Let stand 5 minutes in pan, then turn cakes out onto a cooling rack. I prefer to chill the cakes for a little while before proceeding to cut. After cakes have cooled completely cut each cake round in half horizontally making 4 round pieces.
- 1 pt. HEAVY whipping cream (no exceptions)
- 1 (8-oz.) block Cream Cheese (full calorie, NO exceptions)
- 2/3 c. Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- ½ tsp. Salt
In you mixing bowl whip your whipping cream until very thick. In a separate bowl blend together cream cheese, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Now fold together the cream cheese mixture and the whipping cream.
Finally, put the cake together. Lay one cake round on a cake stand and frost. Next place another cake round on top of the frosting and repeat process.
Sunday, March 6, 2011
"Dress" bow organizer. Her room is SO pink that the in the picture, the dress looks almost a non-color, but it really is pink too.
I have made so many flowers and bows for Ashley in her short little life that they were everywhere, so I needed some way to organise them-I love to organize.
I made the "dress" bow holder first and it was fine...for awhile. Then I got into making flowers for every color of her wardrobe. So I did a little googling and found an idea to hang long ribbons on her door.
It works great.
I bought the satin ribbon at the dollar store-yea dollar store- and just nailed them into the top of the door. Doors are very dense, and it took a lot of bent nails and a few choice words to get them in at the top. Then I measured and nailed the ribbon in about half way up the door-I don't want the babies that visit me to pull it down- and tada! a perfect bow hanger. It filled up much faster than I would've thought and I will have to put up another ribbon soon.....
I wanted to make this awesome Mohawk hat from the moment I saw it, the problem was the patterns. None of them really were right for my son. They were either too big, small, or too complex. So I improvised, something that I do all too often when I am crafting-not always for the good either.
So I took the pattern from the hats that I made with the flower on them and didn't add the brim. Then I found a pattern with ear flaps and kind of followed it to add the ear flaps, all the time making Jake try it on to see if it fit.
Then I did the Mohawk. It was so easy, once you understood. I chained about 70, then single stitched every chain while pulling out about an inch of yarn with every stitch. So I had a long chain with lots of loops. Once I did about 5 rows I tied off and sewed it on the hat right down the center. Then I cut all the loops, and with a fine comb ratted all the yarn so it had that cool funky look.
I love it...my son not as much. I made him wear it when he went skiing with his class and I think that he might of taken it off, but oh well.
I wear it when I scrap my driveway and feel very cool.